Sunday, January 15, 2006

March 8, 1928 - January 10, 2006

My dad passed away on January 10th following a long battle with cancer. After first being diagnosed back in 1969 with jaw cancer, followed by a bout with colon cancer in 1996 and frequent bouts of skin cancer, we discovered last October that he was in the advanced stages of colon cancer (something the cancer tests never detected? WTF good are they?). We brought him home and he was there until his last breath. Towards the end he could only drink small sips of water which was so sad for someone who loved to eat as good as he did throughout his life (esp lobster). I was in a daze throughout the viewing and the funeral service and I still feel stunned although we were expecting it. Since I lost my mom in 1999 I am now a 37 year old orphan. Luckily I have my sisters and brother and my two wonderful daughters to comfort me, but I still feel very small and alone in the universe. I told my sister that I feel as though I should be a grown up now, but I don't want to be. She said "you don't have to be".
Thanks for all your warm words, I will be back soon.
jules